Sunday 9 January 2011

A little about me

I have many roles. I am many things. I have many loves, many passions and joys. I seek to share them here.

I am wife to Husbeloved: Mumma to Taine and Aiyana. I stay at home, to take care of them, to care for our home, to give us all as much of a peaceful life as I can manage. We are human and we are not perfect and there are tears and tantrums from us all, we argue, we say harsh words, but deep down we are connected, we love each other, with fierce loyalty and passion.

I parent unconditionally. I am studying Steiner methods and whilst there is much that I take from it, there are some parts that I cannot bring myself to accept - I love the developmental stages and the thought that goes along with that, I love the concepts and practise of warmth, of rythmn, of reverence for the child and for nature, of outdoor play and simple natural clothing and toys, of celebrating festivals through the year. We don't do TV and we limit access to computer games. However, I'm not for enforced delayed academics any more than I am for forced early learning, I'm not about eating certain foods on certain days, or wearing certain colours because it's Tuesday. I'm not about being judged and having to measure up to another's ideals and standards. So I take the elements I like and leave the rest. I am attracted by unschooling and the concept of treating a child's wants as valid - giving them options and a voice that is listened to, of not doling out rewards and punishments like training a monkey. But I am not about unlimited junk food, or 24/7 TV, so I take some elements, those of treating children with respect and I leave the rest. I am about learning to parent mindfully - to consider my inner voice and deal with my own issues before lashing out. I am learning. My children are my constant teachers and I will be recording our journey here, our successes and our failures.

I practice yoga daily and am ever grateful for it in my life. I also attend regular classes. I love the effect that it has on me, physically and mentally. I would love to attend a yoga retreat. I love that it is about striving and doing one's best, about seeking to improve, but not pushing beyond your limits. I love that there are no grades, no standards, no competition, no comparisons, just you and the mat and regular practise. I love the feeling of achievement when I manage a position that months before I thought would never be possibe.

I love to read. I can remember the first time I read a book from start to finish, and the joy that welled inside me. I have always read and in my life before children would read a book in a day, several books over a weekend, stay up all night and watch the dawn break while finishing a good book. That option is no so open to me now, but I still read, to learn, to discover, to escape, to travel, to relate. I will write about the books I am reading. I aim to pass my love of literature onto my children, and we read together as a family so much of the time. We'll share and record the books we read here.

I love nature and being out of doors. I love walking. We are blessed to live between the moors and the seas, surrounded by woods. We are children of nature, tree huggers, nature lovers. My soul is at ease when I am on the wild moors or next to the tranquil seas.

I am a vegetarian. I love to cook and bake. I love healthy food and love to find out new and tempting recipes to cook for my dear ones. I love to bake, and do so weekly with the children, delicious home cooked treats, for we all need balance. Cooking and baking are expressions of my tender love, my sharing of myself. It is a daily joy for me. I bake our bread, and I love to smell the fresh baked bread when I open my front door.

I love cafes and cafe culture. My dream afternoon would be to be snuggled up in one of my favourite cafes, book beside me, chai latte in front of me, people watching, reading or spending time with my dear friends, chatting, laughing, spilling, sharing, connected.

I adore music, it transports me to another place, it lifts me, it frees my emotions. I like folk, rock/indie, world music. Currently I am loving Boo Hewerdine, Amy Seeley, Laura Marling, Seth Lakeman, Newton Faulkner. I will be sharing more. I love seeing live music and plan to do more of this.

I am beginning to learn how to meditate. It feels right for me. I will be sharing more as I learn more. I am excited and thrilled to begin this journey - to connect with others and learn how to become more mindful. I feel I have travelled alone for too long and I am looking to connect, to seek wisdom and guidance on this journey, to learn, and in time, maybe to share that, to teach.

This is my sacred space: I come to share and spill; to document my passions, to record our daily joys, whether they be writ large or tiny, momentous, or seemingly insignificant, transient. I want this to be record of and a reminder to be mindful of all the simple pleasures that make up this life of mine, that bring sparkle to my days. I do not want to hide the bad, I want to share all facets of my being, the bits that make me laugh, the ones I am proud of, the ones that make me cry, the moments I am ashamed of, to walk through the difficult times. I want to share what I learn, to share our happiness, in the hope that someone reading might be lifted up to, may share in the joy as well, or may learn from my experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment