Wednesday 16 February 2011

16 February


It's been a rough few weeks, for reasons I'm not quite ready or able to go into just at the moment. It lead to a weekend where finally I stopped, and relaxed a bit and then fell apart completely - as the adrenelin left, I broke. Having not slept properly in ages, I slept for 12 hours solid on Saturday night, and still woke up tired on Sunday.
One thing that has prevented this from spiralling out of control is my daily yoga practice - I do 2o minutes/half an hour every morning, starting with some sun salutations and finishing with 5 minutes meditation. I honestly think I would loose my mind without it.
To take that time each day, just gives me the chance to regroup, recenter and accept whatever else might be happening. Some days it is easier to switch off than others, some days my mind is still racing even as I go through the positions, but I try to focus on my breath and draw myself into the present.
What I love, aside from the inner strength and sense of well being it gives me, is the progression I have made with some of the poses. Whilst I don't notice day to day any specific changes, I realise after a month or so, sometimes longer, has passed, that I can manage to do something that I couldn't before. Each day I have stretched a little further, breathed a little deeper and eventually the results have come.
I take that lesson with me into each day too.
What do you do to calm and centre yourself ?
What actions do you take for self-care, especially when the going gets tough ?

3 comments:

  1. sorry it's so rought right now.

    it's amazing what just 30mins of yoga can do. i feel really set up for the day.
    when i'm not doing yoga (and even when i am), if i feel any anxiety, i take a minute for deep breathing. works wonders. oxygen plus a moment to recentre, reground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope things get easier as time goes by :). Lately I have been knitting and trying to find time to be more creative. I find that if I can express myself creatively, I feel better. Music sometimes can be a quicker fix :)--I've been listening to Temper Trap and Mindy Gledhill lately. You are inspiring me to get my yoga groove back though. That has been tabled for a few months now. I can feel I miss it :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, I find knitting/crochet/sewing really contemplative as well - I think it's the hands being occupied, and a certain level of concentration, whilst at the same time, an ability for the mind to wander a little. Plus the satisfaction of creating something at the end.

    Am sure things will pick up soon - just a lot on my mind generally, but I'm feeling much calmer now and more in control.

    Deep breathing and yoga are definitely two great tools for getting through the day, no matter what else is happening!

    ReplyDelete