Sunday 6 February 2011

6 February




I haven't written much about it yet, although I will, when things are not quite so raw, but we are in the midst of a dilemma whether to withdraw our children from school and commence home-educating them. Any words of advice, encouragement or any comment at all would be gratefully received at this point.

But, in the spirit of being open and finding more about it, I took Aiyana with me and met up with a local HE Group a few days ago. We met up at a local nature reserve and it was such a wonderful, amazing time.
It was bitter cold, and I mean Bitter - it was mostly hovering around -2 degrees as we drove there, and about three times I nearly turned the car back towards home as the cold and the nerves got the better of me, but something made me keep going and I am so pleased that I did.

I had such a great time that I didn't think to take many photos, but these are a couple that I took of our beautiful surroundings. To be honest, though, that was the least special part of the day, for me. Meeting and talking and sharing and bonding with some truly amazing people, well, I was just left beaming and more convinced than ever that this is the right path for us.

People who are accepting, non-judgemental, who care about their kids but don't keep them wrapped in a bubble away from the norms of society (an issue I've had with some of the Steiner partents I've encountered). People I could immediately sit down and have a conversation with, who were warm and welcoming and inclusive.
Oh, and have I mentioned the children ? A bunch of different children from different families, girls, boys, all ages, playing together, being kind, looking out for one another. Children and teenagers who willingly and ably conversed with adults (me) and small children (Aiyana) - no stand-offishness, no teenage rebellion, no refusal to talk or play with a little one just because they are smaller. A better advert for HE couldn't be found.
Decisions still need to be made, as to whether we can do it, whether it is the right thing for our family, but I am feeling much encouraged.

2 comments:

  1. I remember being where you are. It was the feeling of standing at the cliff, knowing that if I jumped, it would be scary but perhaps the most exhilarating experience ever. I didn't know what would be waiting for me at the bottom, but I also knew that if I didn't, I may always wonder what we might be missing.

    Fear can be paralyzing, don't I know it, but when I realized that all I really wanted was to know if there was a better way for my children, and that I could always change again if it didn't work out, that jumping off place didn't look so scary anymore. There is more, but I don't want to write a book in your comment section :)! I encourage you to just try it, at least for 2 years. The first year is the hardest because of all the transitions, but it gets easier, I promise :). All my best...

    ReplyDelete
  2. All book size comments welcome

    Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and for your words. It's so reassuring, especially in the face of much opposition here from (well meaning, but not understanding) family.

    We are continuing to debate what to do for the best, but are guided by and inspired by you and your lovely family

    ReplyDelete